SailNet Community - View Single Post - Catalina value
Thread: Catalina value
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Catalina value

I am confused here about this after survey offer.

Generaly the order of business is for the buyer to inspect the boat...once you decide to buy it make an offer. At this point a back and forth between the owner takes place until you either walk away or find a mtually agreeable price. A contract is drawn up and a 10% down payment is made. The contract is made pending the results of the survey.

Buyer pays for the surveyor, buyer pays to have boat put in water if on the land sroed, buyer pays for haul out and re winterization.

Survey can take place before this and then if all is going well sea trial takes place. If the Buyer finds all ok and no major chages occur and sea test shows well then the buyer oks and the price of the contract is enforced.

MOst sales I have seen there is no new renegotiation unless there are some real issiues that were not disclosed beforehand or the engine doesnt work or the hull is in bad shape. I have seen a liitle allowance for other stuff, but there is a signed contract.

There is no second period of negotiations unless the buyer doesnt like things found not to be sound via the surveyors findings. If a few minor things needed to be repaired that would be negotiasble as to who and whether that came off the price or was incurred by the owner.

If I was selling a boat and someone tries to renegotiate me down after the signed the contract thinking they had a second oppertunity I would tell them to stuff it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook