SailNet Community - View Single Post - Mainsail from Hell OR am I an Old Fart?
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2013

JackandJude is on a distinguished road
Re: Mainsail from Hell OR am I an Old Fart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4gta View Post
A string sail for my 25 footer costs $2,000.
Congratulations, you won. You wanted the cheapest sail posible, and you got it.
Thanks zz4gta - Dah! What we want is what the sail loft quoted. Triple stitched Bainbridge Ocean 1055 cloth, a 6" headboard, 24" of roach, full length battens and slides laid out orderly so we can actually reef this sucker.

We did not want the cheapest sail possible. A good price -absolutely. But when two other well-respected international lofts quote a similar price then we figure the sail can be made for the money.

Furthermore, Jack spoke with this guy many times, outlined just what we do, and that is we sail on average 5000 NM every year down here in the big stuff. Crikey Jack even sent him his latest book, Where Wild Winds Blow that illustrates we can be several weeks on the wind in 30 to 40 knots of the great southern ocean.

We did not want this packet of trouble. The sailmaker has proven to be a con artist and we got taken. Do not buy from Somerset Sails - you've been warned.

BTW We ordered this sail to voyage south around New Zealand - told the sailmaker that also. But Mate, we're not going down there with this. We're in Tasmania in the roaring forties but we're now heading north into the the mild tropics while we sort this out/ Cheers

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Authors and Filmakers
Explore - Dream - Discover
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook