SailNet Community - View Single Post - Raymarine Pathfinder RL70C Fascia Cover
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2013

transmitterdan is on a distinguished road
Re: Raymarine Pathfinder RL70C Fascia Cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindstar View Post
All

Obviously there was a factory applied coating on the clear glass screencover with some intent. Does anyone know what purpose the coating served, and if necessary, if there is a coating product that can be found and applied?
I have one of these too. The glass fell out of the unit so I looked it over pretty close before using a couple small dabs of RTV to hold it in place. It is just a piece of glass with an anti-glare coating on the outside. If you use the unit indoors then the anti-glare isn't too useful and you can live without it. I guess if the anti-glare coating is gone bad and interfering with the display then it isn't doing you any good outdoors either. If you are careful you can remove the coating and just leave the plain glass. Don't scratch the glass as it will be hard to polish. Sunlight viewing will be seriously degraded (to the point of unusable).

You may be able to find a new piece of glass with anti-glare coating and have it cut to the right size but I'm not sure what kind of shop would have it. I think most of the manufacturers of this type glass are in China now. Try internet search for anti-reflective or anti-glare (same thing) glass. Another idea is to ask your local eye glasses store if they know someone who can put a new high quality anti-glare coating on the old glass.