SailNet Community - View Single Post - Mainsail from Hell OR am I an Old Fart?
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2013

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Re: Mainsail from Hell OR am I an Old Fart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJude View Post
Hello Marty,
You can tell us to go away all you like - but we won't. Have as much right to warn others of our mishap as you have to tell us to go away.

BTW We had three quotes for this sail, all for that sort of money. Maybe you're paying too much. Prices vary immensely around the world. Volume, labour costs, running costs and profit margin determine the cost of an item.

Yep, we got stung this time. What's so annoying, Jack spoke on the telephone to the sailmaker many times before placing the order. What a fibber he has turned out to be. He knew quite clearly the service the sail would see.
The sailmaker should not have promised what you wanted for $1500. NO sailmaker should have said they could build you a sail for $1500. Not sure how big your sail is, but mine is 190#, ALL of the quotes I got, 7-8 different types from base dacron to a string style, varied from $1300 to upwards of $4k. I would expect to pay in the $4-6K if your sail is the size I think it is. 15-20' boom, 50' tall. 500# or so, possibly bigger or a skoosh smaller.

You got had by yourself, the sailmaker got you. At least he has offered to refund some portion of the money........

Reality is, you cloth, headboard etc probably would be in the $1500-2000 range. Contact someone like sailrite with your sails demensions, see what they will sell you an unmade kit ready to sew together for. My boat is in the 700-900 range.

Whether you go away is another story, I really do not care. Reality is, you were being cheep! you got had. Open up the check book a bit more. Try Lee sails, they are probably the best cheap sail maker on the planet frankly. I would give you a REALLY good sailmaker, but her dacron full blown world cruise sail was 3G for my boat!

Cam on the other hand, I do feel sorry for his situation. The OP, not one bit!

marty