SailNet Community - View Single Post - Perkins 4.108M DIY Rebuild -- A Narrative
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2013
Señor Member

PorFin is on a distinguished road
Re: Perkins 4.108M DIY Rebuild -- A Narrative

Chapter 12: Killing Time

I figure I owe you a couple of pics of the oil pump reinstalled -- nothing special, just minor progress.

Now, for the killing time part. I'm regretting not doing a better job insulating the garage way back when I first purchased the house and finished the garage. Even with a space heater running, I'm not managing to get the temp up above 60* so I can get some primer sprayed.

So with a little time on my hands, I'm finding creative ways to keep myself busy.

Here's an example. The timing cover is made of stamped steel, and is attached to the block with studs & screws. Since it's made of stamped steel, it's got a fair amount of flex and to spread the pressure from the fasteners over a wider area of the cork gasket Perkins decided to use elongated washers. As you may recall, the timing cover had some serious rust issues around the edges, and many of these elongated washers were also pretty damaged.

Now I could have bought replacements, but what's the fun in that?

I bought some fender washers and fashioned my own that are even longer than the originals!

Here's another example. The connections for our water heater hoses are plumbed into the engine head. They were custom fabricated, although they were pretty rough. Once I got the paint off of them, I noticed that they were stainless. I started cleaning up the welds with a couple of files, all the while contemplating how best to get paint to adhere. Then I thought "why paint stainless?" You may know where this is headed...

After smoothing out the welds a little, I then took the MultiMaster to them with 150, 180, and 240 grit. Pulled out the bench grinder and chucked up a buffing wheel. Voila! Engine bling!

Hopefully tomorrow will get a little warmer...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
________
'85 BYB Vagabond 39

Last edited by PorFin; 02-18-2013 at 11:10 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook