SailNet Community - View Single Post - Mainsail from Hell OR am I an Old Fart?
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2013

JackandJude is on a distinguished road
Re: Mainsail from Hell OR am I an Old Fart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
Again, "YOU GOT WHAT YOUR PAID FOR!!!!!"
Can I say go away again and get away with it.
Marty
blt2ski I took your remark as being rude, and replied in kind.

FYI our mainsail is tiny. 11.3' foot X 41.2' hoist, it was quoted Daron, nothing fancy, therefore $1500 is a good, fair price. And Lee Sails would make it for that, and it would be well made for cruising folk like us who put on lots of miles but do not have to win races.

Hartley18 We wanted the headboard for exactly those reasons, to increase our roach and our sail area, especially as we were buying a full length batten mainsail. BUT we did not get the headboard nor the increased sail area - Somerset Sails even scrimped on the specified foot by a few inches. It's obvious, looking at the photos you can tell he scrimped on everything except his fancy talk. So, yes, we are mad. To be conned by a sail maker is the lowest of lows.

zz4gta Thank you for your advice, but honestly, I'd rather be sailing than trying to get a few bucks out that guy through legal action. I'm tight, but I ain't nuts. I'll fix this one if it can be fixed, or buy another one.

Let's change tacks, fixing the luff is going to be the hard bit. It is a simple fold-over. No lateral reinforcing at all, so its two layers of cloth period. There's a luff rope, but it's not in play when the sail is reefed. The man just sewed it on at each end. Therefore when the luff is most loaded only those two layers take the strain. And there's stitching at every panel, folded over and subject to chafe.

We reckon all the slide grommets will have to be removed, the edge suitably strengthened and new slide grommets put back at the correct spacing. The leach and foot are the same construction, but no grommets to remove and replace.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Authors and Filmakers
Explore - Dream - Discover
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook