SailNet Community - View Single Post - Need advice on preparing for Pacific crossing
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2013

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
Re: Need advice on preparing for Pacific crossing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiroshimasunset View Post
Any provisioning tips? I know food is expensive on many of the islands. We are thinking lots of rice, pasta, tortillas, a bread maker, canned stuff, fresh fish.
I know you asked for comments from people who have made that passage, and I haven't, but hopefully you won't mind a comment about provisioning from me anyway.

I'm not saying you are doing this, but I have noticed that a lot of people who are thinking about going out cruising talk about provisioning as if the food they eat will be completely different once they push away from the dock ... there is food they eat now, and the food they'll be eating then, like they'll be totally changing the way they eat once they leave.

My point is that there is no reason not to go ahead and eat what you'll be eating on the boat NOW so that you can get used to eating it.

You said you're thinking lots of pasta, rice, tortillas, canned food, etc, ... is that what you eat now ? Do you use a bread machine now ? If not, why not ?

It takes a while to get used to eating food like that, especially if you were used to eating fast food and other convenience foods, you might not like it, or it might make you feel tired, or sick.

Sailing across the Pacific isn't a weekend camping trip where you can stock up on some granola and make it through until you get back home. Again, I'm not saying that's what you're doing, but I am saying that it is worth spending extended amounts of time eating what you're going to be eating on a boat to get used to it, to make sure you like it, and that you can live on it. Consider it a kind of training for life aboard.

Many things look great on a paper menu until you start eating them every day.

Please support my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by wind_magic; 02-19-2013 at 02:00 AM. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook