SailNet Community - View Single Post - Need advice on preparing for Pacific crossing
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2013

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road
Re: Need advice on preparing for Pacific crossing

Quote:
Originally Posted by wind_magic View Post
I have noticed that a lot of people who are thinking about going out cruising talk about provisioning as if the food they eat will be completely different once they push away from the dock.
Yep. I agree totally. You eat the same as at home.

Forums often have interesting ideas like loading 100 pounds or kilograms of pulses or dried beans on the boat. Well, unless you were a Vego at home those beans will end up overboard!

Look at exactly what you eat now and work out how you can replicate that but storable. the best example is fresh vegetables at home means canned or frozen at sea.

The only change people really make is buying a bottle of some local flavor... In the Pacific Coconut oil is a great one! used for frying or in salads it immparts a little tropical flavour

BTW Some people expect to eat a lot more fish. On passage you may catch one or two, but I raely see people going out fishing for supper in the dinghy etc. Some do of course.... some people were great fish eaters at home, great fishermen at home. But if you wern't then you probably wont become a great fish eater cruising.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook