SailNet Community - View Single Post - The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2013
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Re: The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??

Quote:
Originally Posted by c. breeze View Post

that's at the crux for lots of young folks- who wants to hang out in anchorage, sipping rum with everyones grandparents? Let's get out and get heeled over.
Nice response. To the young people who agree with that last bit, I wouldn't totally rule out spending the odd day or two with someone's grandparents and at anchor is the perfect environment. At least it means that you both left the dock. I learned a lot, and continue to learn, from the older sailors who have traveled the same roads and beyond and made the same mistakes. We have jobs that help our boat float. I'd rather spend a few hours (sometimes it only takes minutes) listening to someone help me do things right than spend that time equivalent of my paycheck fixing something that could easily have been avoided.

Last summer we rafted up with a pair of older gentlemen who kindly gave us lots of good information about our boat and how to get better sail performance from it. One had previously owned the same type and while we sipped their very generous drinks, he came aboard and helped fix a problem we were having. It surely saved us a major headache and having to haul our boat, leaving us less time for sailing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook