SailNet Community - View Single Post - NMEA over Bluetooth
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Re: NMEA over Bluetooth

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8wi9 View Post
Why do you say that? Have there been lots of complaints? If it really is busted, then no amount of fiddling on my part will work. As I said in my first post, the computer claimed it was connected to the bluetooth adapter that's added to the radio. The adapter light stayed solid blue also, but the radio wasn't communicating with seaclear.

Jim
I think he's overly negative. The SH radio uses an older NMEA 0183 protocol, and lacks the easy plug-and-play hookup of NMEA 2000. But if you're trying to interface with older instruments that lack the NMEA 2000 anyway (as I was), it's irrelevant. If I were trying to install a brand new turnkey system with the latest specs, I would get a VHF/DSC/AIS system with NMEA 2000. But that's not my situation, and I suspect it's not yours either.

Without knowing anything about your bluetooth adapter, I can't help much. The blue light might mean that computer is connected, but that may not mean that the adapter is set properly to get NMEA from the radio. What does the configuration software for your bluetooth adapter say? As I said already, I bet it's set to communicate at 9600 by default, and you need to change it to 4800.

I seriously doubt that your radio is malfunctioning or otherwise "busted." It's not the snazzy new NMEA 2000 protocol, but it works fine once it's configured properly, as demonstrated in this other thread.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook