SailNet Community - View Single Post - HMS Bounty in trouble...
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Mhack View Post
Please correct me if I'm wrong -

1. No timeline was established but it is known one engine run out of fuel rest short circuited when water was high enough, which was rather quickly.

2. 5 pumps:

- 2 electrical 150 gpm - main system 208V, connected to 2" pipe

- 2 hydraulic 800 gpm each rated if connected to 4" pipe, they were not.
Hydraulic system can only run 1 at a time they were connected to much smaller pipe ~ 250 gpm

Bounty leak rate was estimated at 800 gpm, pumps as configured could pump 550 gpm ( 2 electric + 1 hydraulic )

Nobody was trained on hydraulic pumps, they were not tested and hard to start.

Last pump was a gas pump that didn't work as it was not used in 2 years.

3. Nobody was trained on hydraulic pumps or gas.
It seems to me that the one designed to be the main was the hydraulic one but I am a bit confused. For what I have understood there were two hydraulic pumps, one for each engine, drive directly. So why do you say that only one could be drive at any given time?

Yes, it seems you are correct. No timeline regarding the last engine going out of service. Anyway I seem to recall that when the last electric pumps stooped to work (short circuit) no ship engine was working, except one of the generators.

I find odd that at this time of the inquiry the time table of events is not yet completely clear.

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook