SailNet Community - View Single Post - HMS Bounty in trouble...
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Mhack View Post
Well, it looks like electric were primary.

Hydraulic were secondary.

The problem with them is the way the designer/surveyor friend of the captain installed them.

One was hardwired to the 2" pipe ( instead of 4") and the other to 3" flexible hose instead of 4".

Also they both were driven by hydraulic fluid pump on 1 engine. This pump was 9gpm which was enough to drive just 1 pump at a time. There was no way to run both at the same time.

For the timeline - each crew member gave estimates of the time, but at the end of each day 1st mate was allowed to "question" them and he asked questions like "Could it be that you stood 8-12 watch instead of 16-20?" You see what he was doing it was very transparent..
I didn't say they were the primary system I had said they were designed to be the primary system

Something was very wrong with that set up. Two pumps run by the same engine that could only run one is crazy...and the boat had two engines. If the pumps were correctly installed, run one by each engine, with adequate piping, that would be the primary system with a capacity vastly superior to the electric one.

Previously the ship had as main pumping system a diesel one and the electric one as auxiliary. Then they stayed with the electric one and substituted the Diesel one by the hydraulic one. It seems to me that should be the main one, if not castrated by a ridiculous installation.

I don't know what is worse, if that or the electrical system of the boat with all those connections low on the bilge were in case of flooding the water would short circuit everything.

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 02-19-2013 at 08:53 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook