SailNet Community - View Single Post - How do u find good crew for a race?
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2013

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road
Re: How do u find good crew for a race?

Mark, You are not too far off (except for the accent). The California NYC is populated with Hollywood types, real estate developers and other assorted nouveau riche. For example, the radio talk show host, Dr. Laura Slessinger, is a member. I have reciprocal privileges with pretty much every other club in California except NYC. Go figure.

Newport, doesn’t the Santana have a crews list you can use? Also, ask around the dock and work too. It is amazing what falls out when you shake the tree. As a new skipper, try to find one good guy to be your mentor. Next in line would be a good bow guy. You will only have to make a few gybes on that race but half will be after dark. Also, remember all the advice about being a good skipper (you buy the first round at **** and you do the provisioning). As a new guy, you can’t promise your crew the glory of winning or be in position to offer them a bunch of swag, but you can keep them in beverage and sandwiches. You want them to enjoy themselves (while you flog ‘em around the race course). If I didn’t live in NorCal, I’d certainly offer my services.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook