SailNet Community - View Single Post - HMS Bounty in trouble...
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2013

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smier View Post
Chef kind of touched on my question earlier when he mentioned not enough qualified/trained crew... How many crew(qualified) should a ship of this size have had realistically? 16 total crew members seems kind of small in my mind. Then you factor in the weather, their actual skill levels, and injuries...
That's the whole thing this entire debacle was doomed from the very beginning. The more the testimony goes on the more horrified I am. I though I was horrified by what I saw on the rails a BHS, but it pales in comparison to the rest of what Ive seen in these hearings.......

MY OPINION HERE:

*Unqualified/inexperienced crew
*Rotted & completely unsafe vessel
*Gross & egregious levels of cost cutting (DAP 33 etc)
*Skirting/avoidance of the "rules"
*Lack of proper maintenance
*Lack of proper funding
*Lack of a ships engineer who knew enough about the systems on-board
*Lack of experienced crew who knew how to use critical safety equipment/systems (pumps)
*A captain with too much faith/love/ignorance for his ship to see the forest for the trees.
*A bunch of hobbyists who idolized their captain like a cult and could not see the forest because the TREE (read captain) obliterated their view.

And above all else...

*A COMPLETE AND UTTER LACK OF ANY COMMON SENSE

The captain is STILL 100% at fault but there were way more contributing factors than I ever imagined possible.....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 02-19-2013 at 08:21 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook