SailNet Community - View Single Post - NMEA over Bluetooth
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Re: NMEA over Bluetooth

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8wi9 View Post
I have the same US Converters adapter that you have.

Serial Bluetooth Adapter (UCBT232B)
USB Bluetooth Dongle 100 FT (BLDONG)

I also downloaded Toshiba drivers from their site, so maybe that's what's in their stuff. I'll check the baud rate and port settings again. That's probably it.

Thanks again for the tips.
Sorry, there have been numerous Bluetooth adapters mentioned in this thread and I did not know which one you had. I do have two by US Converters, but they are the BT433 industrial strength versions.

You are going to have to make full use of the documentation and utilities that they provide on their website. Also look at their utilities To configure the Bluetooth adapter, you need to install terminal emulation (their Teraterm program works fine). Unfortunately you are going to have to issue command-line commands using the AT format familiar to those of us who were alive back in the day of telephone modems.

To connect your computer to the adapter for configuration, you will either need a serial cable (if you have an ancient computer with actual COM ports) or more likely a USB-Serial adapter. Be sure to have a gender changer handy - you may need it. (The industrial version of the adapter that I bought came with the gender changer, which is part of the reason I bought it. US Converters does sell them separately if you need one.)

The datasheet for your Bluetooth adapter says quite clearly that it defaults to 19200 baud, so you will have to set your terminal emulator to 19200 to establish communications. Once you've established communications, the command you need to send is ATL0. This will set the serial port to 4800. You will immediately lose communications, because you'll need to reset your terminal emulator to 4800 to re-establish communications. I'm 90% certain this is the speed your HX851 uses. If that doesn't work, try 38400 (ATL3), since that's the second most common speed for NMEA communications (though the NMEA 0183 specification technically only formally supports 4800).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook