SailNet Community - View Single Post - The boy behind the gate (new book)
View Single Post
Old 02-20-2013

davidpm is on a distinguished road
The boy behind the gate (new book)

The Boy Behind the Gate: How His Dream of Sailing Around the World Became a Six-Year Odyssey of Adventure, Fear, Discovery and Love: Larry Jacobson: 9780982878798: Amazon.com: Books The Boy Behind the Gate: How His Dream of Sailing Around the World Became a Six-Year Odyssey of Adventure, Fear, Discovery and Love: Larry Jacobson: 9780982878798: Amazon.com: Books

I just finished this book and it was a great read.
I have contacted the author and he has agreed to keep an eye on this thread to answer questions.

He set out to sail around the world and actually did it. Took six years.
This guy wrote an amazing adventure story. He was very successful, no one was seriously hurt, the boat survived and he has some great memories he shared with his book.
One of my favorite was while sailing in the gulf of Aden he was flying the american flag and a rainbow flag (he is gay and that is a significant part of the story) his friends were emailing him about how dangerous it was.
His response was to suggest that maybe flying the star of David would be a good idea (his is Jewish too).

Larry:
I have a couple of questions:
1. The engine having to be rebuilt after only one year. Was it because the exhaust was too small and there was back pressure.

2. I notice that you scuba dived a lot. What equipment did you supply and what did you rent. How many tanks did you carry for example?

Last edited by davidpm; 02-20-2013 at 12:43 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook