SailNet Community - View Single Post - MOB Recovery in gale conditions
View Single Post
Old 02-20-2013

BarryL is on a distinguished road
Re: MOB Recovery in gale conditions

Quote:
Originally Posted by knuterikt View Post
Interesting to follow the drift of this thread..

The problem addressed in the OP was a man drowning after falling overboard while still clipped on to the boat.

So there was never a situation where getting back to the MOB was a problem.

The reason he died was that he was dragged after the boat with head under water for a while before they started the effort to get him back on board.
It took 16 minute from the MOB was discovered until he was back on board.
From the report http://www.maib.gov.uk/cms_resources...LionReport.pdf
Hey,

What isn't clear in the report is the amount of time elapsed between when the skipper went over the side until he was discovered. At 0027 they noticed the genoa slipping into the water and commenced recovery of the sail. At 0036 they noticed a strobe light and recognized that someone was over the side and in the water. At 0038 they issued a mayday and were trying to recover the skipper. By this time, the skipped already appeared lifeless. How long was he in the water before they noticed?

I submit that the tether is what caused him to drown. I think he would have had a better chance of surviving if he had simply fallen overboard. At least he would have floated. A helo had already been dispatched. If he had a PLB or something like that, he stood at least a decent chance of being recovered.

I think the most important lesson is that if you are going to wear a tether, make sure that it's short enough to keep you on the boat.

Barry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook