SailNet Community - View Single Post - Seeking Opinions To Refine Search
View Single Post
Old 02-20-2013

pavlovpv is on a distinguished road
Seeking Opinions To Refine Search

I decided it was time to dump the laker runner and get back to my passion of surfing the wind after a 10 year hiatus. I have both skippered and crewed on a number of racers, cruisers and in-betweens to know what I like and what I don't like.

To this end I started to narrow down the options, looking for boats that had excellent sailing characteristics as I love a 20 to 25 knot mistral, yet enough creature comforts to finish off a day of sailing with a cool glass of wine before heading back to the house.

Prices for a 30'-33', 10 year old boat is out of the question as money these days is just too hard to come by. So I started to march down the years until a price point became reasonable in my mind. What price point is that you may say, $50,000 and I'm 30 minutes away from dock to flying the jib.

To achieve this goal I decided I needed a realistic strategy of finding a 24 to 28 year old boat build by a good solid manufacturer with excellent sailing virtues with room for the creature features. So cut to the chase, find a boat at a price that we can afford to rehab into a restored sailing machine.

Question: What is your opinion on which boat ( Manufacture, Model, Length, and Year) would be worthy of this type of attention and dedication?

Thank you for reading my ramblings and I look forward to hearing from you ;-)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook