SailNet Community - View Single Post - HMS Bounty in trouble...
View Single Post
Old 02-20-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey1999 View Post
Maybe I missed it in all the post. This is what the Capt stated he was trying to do:

“We run into stormy seas. We chase hurricanes,” Walbridge said. “You try and get up as close to the eye of it as you can and you stay down in the southeast quadrant and when it stops, you stop. You don’t want to get in front of it. You want to stay behind it. But you also get a good ride out of the hurricane.”

Many posts ago I think it was decided Walbridge was either mis quouted or twisted his words around, either way the thought was he meant the southwest quadrant where there would be following winds and seas.

Was this ever brought up in the current hearings?
Yes...go back a few posts to where I was reporting what I saw from the people testifying. The 3rd mate kind of debunked it and talked about following two storms after they passed by in the SW area, much like oceanic racers do and followed it at a safe distance as it moved away from them. In one instance they hove to for two days as their forward speed ws 11 knotss and the storm slowed to 4 knotts and they started catching it. Third mate stated tha the captain was not talkimng about catching hrricanes and ridng them for fun, but was talking about when they found themselves behind one what they would do.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook