SailNet Community - View Single Post - BVI chart/nav app
View Single Post
Old 02-20-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Re: BVI chart/nav app

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
...Based on Robes' comment about HomePort, I looked up some detailed specs for the software, as well as user support messages, and it looks like even though the Oregon is not listed on Garmin's webpage as a compatible device, a recent software update allows HomePort to pull the preloaded charts out of my Oregon 400c. Since I therefore already have the charts to make it work, I sprung the $27 for the software from Amazon. I'm looking forward to trying it out.
The HomePort software arrived tonight. I spent some time trying it out. I'm not sure it will ever replace OpenCPN as my favorite software to plan routes (since I prefer seeing NOAA charts on my computer screen), it has some definitely useful features as well as some of those odd quirks that remind you that it's Garmin software. The best feature is to be able to see the exact same Garmin cartography that you have on your chartplotter/handheld GPS on your computer screen. It did pull the charts through USB off my Oregon 400c, which took a LONG time. When I disconnect the Oregon the charts disappear, but upon reconnecting the Oregon they reappear instantaneously, so clearly the software is caching the images locally and using the required hardware connection as "copy protection."

I'll post some more detailed comments when I get a chance, including some comments on how you can run the software at home without bringing the handheld/chartplotter home from your boat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook