SailNet Community - View Single Post - Newbe with no experience buys big boat
View Single Post
Old 02-21-2013

sailguy40 is on a distinguished road
Re: Newbe with no experience buys big boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenndamato View Post
Thanks guys. I live in Marina del Rey, surounded by thousands of boats, brokers, you name it. I am seriously considering getting back into it. With the economy what it is, the deals are incredible.

David - I think the solution is to look for a boat that has been sailed off shore in all kinds of conditions sometime over the last few years, and then hunt for signs of leakage. If a boat leaks bad, it's almost impossible for the owner to cover up ALL the telltale signs. There will be heavy mildew under the cushions. The bilge may show watermarks high up. The lockers will look like they've been filled with soggy mess - or are ALL the lockers repainted? Hmmm. My main point is the usual "hose test" will not tell you much. If ports or hatches leak, they probably only need some adjustment or a new gasket.
I never read your book yet but I will get the Kindle version on my PC when I get the chance. So I don't know what you went through as far as your experience just yet but from reading on this thread, I think you should definitely get back into it! Just revisit it in a different way. You don't have to buy a huge blue water cruiser and quit your job on a quest to sail around the world alone. Take it more casual, like a "cool cat" and just head out for some afternoon sails, overnights or short weekend trips. Or if you have more time and feeling adventurous every now and then try some week long coastal trips. Then you can choose your nice weather days and enjoy it instead of regretting things. This is what I do, I take my girlfriends and buds out off and on, we crank up the music and always have a good time. All fun, no hassles and minimal dangers or risks in breaking things. I do a lot of photography and video when I am out there. I also do a lot of single handing too. Not too many friends are able to take a long voyage but no problem getting anyone to go out on shorter day sails, overnight or weekend trips. Just get you a real nice 26ft that don't need a lot of work with good sails and a good outboard, done. Say no to those all work no play dilapitated project boats.

"The sound of the sea, is becoming very familiar to me."
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook