SailNet Community - View Single Post - Lets have a chat about multis.
View Single Post
Old 02-21-2013
Senior Pirate

TropicCat is on a distinguished road
Re: Lets have a chat about multis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by c. breeze View Post
Addressing the rigging tune point etc- can we agree that with a high aspect fractional rig- as you typically see on these boats ( and a great rig with tons of potential) it is all about the leech...
You misunderstood or I wasn't clear. I wasn't referring to sail trim when I said "rig tuning". Sail trim is of course related but a different conversation.

Because of the lack of feel and the predominance of hydraulic steering, a lot of boat owners don't even know where there rudder is on any point of sail but particularly with regard to pointing ability. All boats should take advantage of rudder lift but large catamarans particularly benefit from it. Rig tuning determines weather helm or lee helm and tunes the boat to proper balance. I usually do this on a close reach.

Some newer boats were designed with no backstays. Which is great for big roach sails but challenging when finding proper boat balance. This is an important issue and should be one of the finer points boat buyers be aware of.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook