SailNet Community - View Single Post - advice on some options, if you please?
View Single Post
Old 02-21-2013

slax is on a distinguished road
advice on some options, if you please?

Hello,
In search of a bit of advice. I have been researching, and combing the sfbay cl postings, lat38, and a few other sites. For a decently priced, 28-34' liveaboard for myself and 1 med sized dog, with room 1-2 others on and off both local and offshore periodically. Some ammenities are nice, but not as important to me as others (only 35, minimum maintenance, used to traveling w/out many). I am very comfortable with DC-electronics, woodworking, engine work, cosmetic stuff. I am less comfortable with fiberglass, structural, rigging, etc.. specific to boating. However love to research and learn what I can, and have no problem paying or work-trading with someone qualified when needed. That being said, I am open and would prefer something I can do some work on and be comfortable with my ability to manage and maintain all systems on the vessel myself before any long voyages. The following fall into the, available now, fit my size, and in varying levels fit my requirements. I am in communication with the owners of the following, planning a trip into the city to come and do my initial inspection.

1978 ericson 34' : Seems the most suited, however has been rolled and demasted in her history. Lots of work since. Mayhap survey says..?

1970 coronado 34': Will need deck reinforcement (out of my scope of skills at the moment) before any heavy weather.

1979 catalina 30': Nicest of the options, though varying reviews for deep crossings And comfort with the size/layout of space.

1972 piver-multihill 28': Multihull, as I am working remote, often requiring connect from mooring/anchor and the ability to work a bit more on the computer then normal for the situation, this is appealing..

1969 chris-craft 32': Just saw this one last night, researching it some more atm..

So I am wondering if there is any insight I am missing, specifics I should be closely inspecting, or random thoughts on the options available?

Thanks for your time.

regards,
slax
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook