SailNet Community - View Single Post - Double or single lifelines?
View Single Post
Old 02-21-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Re: Double or single lifelines?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4gta View Post
...I can tell you that you probably won't need to worry about it breaking. The stanchions will absorb a lot of the shock load. I just splice mine to the ring on the pullpits or lash them there. I'm using 1/4" line which works really well. 8600 lbs breaking strength is a little much and I'll probably drop it to 3/16 when I replace it. But the stuff is cheap and easy to splice, it's not like it takes 1/2 a day to change them out, or longer like it would w/ steel....
8600 lb is probably more than needed, but before you go with 3/16" line remember that the tension on the line will be waaaay more than your body weight. You need to do the geometry here:

Also remember that the rated strength is for new line. As soon as it gets UV, weather, and chafe at the contact points, your actual tensile strength goes down.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook