SailNet Community - View Single Post - BVI chart/nav app
View Single Post
Old 02-21-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: BVI chart/nav app

Setting up the chart download was one of the things that was cumbersome. I got it done, but it wasn't a snap. I had to read some tips and instructions, as it didn't just work the first time. The second was getting the GPS dongle that I added to my tablet computer to interface. I may have given up on that. It been a while. I bought the iPad in the spring of 2011 and never looked back. I was actually a very reluctant iPad purchaser, but felt it was a better back up than a standalone GPS. I was immediately blown away by the functionality and ease of use.

iPad apps like Charts and Tides and the Garmin app just work out the box or actually prompt you for chart input. Didn't have to figure a single thing out. For $25-$50, I would rather have the hour or two of my life back.

I occasionally set up a route on my charplotter, mostly if there is a danger side of the route and I want to be able to glance at my relative position. More often, I just drop a destination waypoint on the fly to calc my remaining distance for some mental arrival math.

In the aircraft, we always load a flight plan and follow it to the letter. No choice. It seems much less an issue when tacking and jibing take you off the route anyway. Since I don't often set them up at all, interfacing isn't a consideration for me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook