SailNet Community - View Single Post - The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??
View Single Post
Old 02-21-2013

Location: S/V Waltzing Matilda, Port Ludlow, WA (NW Puget Sound)
wolfenzee is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee
Re: The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??

I would say the best answer to the question would be you are not looking in the right places and/or the % of people overall cruising is less. Most of the boats I see sit in marinas all the time and never get out....the boats that do get out the most are actually sailed by the "younger crowd". While the "6 figure" boats spend most of their time in the marina slip....the boats that actually get out could be considered "4 figure" (though some might have actually been purchased for something in the hundreds or even have been free-ish). A friend of mine sailed all over the pacific on a "free boat" with bare bones equipment on an annual cruisng budget of $2500...he kept this up until he was convinced that he should do better things with his life (like get married, have children and settle down).....woman represent 3 out of the top 5 reaosns someone has to give up a boat :/
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook