SailNet Community - View Single Post - Newbe with no experience buys big boat
View Single Post
post #249 of Old 02-21-2013
glenndamato

Re: Newbe with no experience buys big boat

I agree with every word of your highly informative post, MedSailor, and I would just like to add the caveat: I don't consider the Pudgy a realistic lifeboat for four adults - assuming >25 nm from land. In the photo on your post, those folks are all seated on the gunwales. And they're in a harbor or a lake or a lagoon, without significant water motion. And they probably held that pose for only a few minutes! That many people in a Pudgy on the ocean in moderate seas, possibly for days, would not be safe. But imagine two couples sailing from SF to Hilo with JUST a Pudgy on board as a lifeboat, on the grounds that it is "USCG rated for four persons." Sorry, not on my vessel! I suspect that many people assume that with an EPRIB, you're gonna be in the boat for just a few hours anyhow. Certainly no more crunched up than an economy seat on United Airlines, right? But there are plenty of things to go wrong with that scenario. EPIRB or not, it may take days to be picked up, maybe longer, depending on many factors.

cheers,

Glenn
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome