SailNet Community - View Single Post - Mainsail from Hell OR am I an Old Fart?
View Single Post
Old 02-21-2013
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road
Re: Mainsail from Hell OR am I an Old Fart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancelot9898 View Post
To me a picture is worth a thousand words, and that picture shows me that the sail provided might be suitable for a dinghy sailing on a small inland lake. I too would be upset about receiving such a sail provided the sailmaker knew that I was a blue water sailor.
I'm inclined to agree here. While there ARE always two sides to a story, and we're only getting one of them here, I can't really see how a sailmaker could make a sail like the one in the picture and ship it to someone planning on going offshore.

Questions to the OP, you said 3 lofts quoted you similar prices. Inquiring minds want to know, who else out there is selling sails that cheap?

Advice to the OP: Send the sail back. It is absolutely clear that this sail will not suit you at all. Your options are :
1. Fix it.
2. Buy another.

I don't think option 1 is a viable one, and keeping it around does you no good either. If you send the sail back, you have some pennies in your pocket to try and recover. Perhaps you could rethink the full battens or the track and get a sail without full battens or a Tides Track from Lee (or one of your other low bidders) for the $800 you will get back. That would at least get you an offshore sail and get you sailing.

Another options is sell the brand new sail on E-bay. Maybe there is a placid lake sailor with a big boat that would like a bargain on a new sail. That way you could keep your Tides Track and recoup some costs towards a new sail.

Good Luck,

MedSailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook