SailNet Community - View Single Post - Mainsail from Hell OR am I an Old Fart?
View Single Post
Old 02-21-2013

JackandJude is on a distinguished road
Re: Mainsail from Hell OR am I an Old Fart?

Hello everyone - been out of touch for a few days sailing up Tasmania's East coast to the Furneaux Group in Bass Strait - that's in what's called the Roaring Forties, a endless circle of ocean with an endless procession of depressions, big seas round here.

MarkSF
"What I'm uncomfortable with is the OP using this discussion forum as a proxy to put leverage on the sailmaker."

Mark, It has never been our intention to put leverage on the sailmaker. Or punish him as others have mentioned. I've said this somewhere in this thread, but we've been helped by literally thousands of others during our life afloat. There are many out there that are no so well experienced and others looking for "good deals." Jude and I just don't want them to make our mistake.

Luck66 said it, SN is a good place to to start when doing research for new stuff for your boat.

We wanted to get a discussion going to let everyone know what a lot of trouble our dealing with this loft has caused us. We're suppose to be exploring the fjords of NZ South Island right now. Instead we are heading home to fix up a sail. It is not about the money.

MedSailor
Questions to the OP, you said 3 lofts quoted you similar prices. Inquiring minds want to know, who else out there is selling sails that cheap?
Taskers and Lee Sails quoted the same or less, delivered

Advice to the OP: Send the sail back. It is absolutely clear that this sail will not suit you at all. Your options are :
1. Fix it.
2. Buy another.

Yep, going to do one of those two. Getting new prices ATM, and will have someone local look at this one. The cloth seems good. The attachments suck, and the edges are diabolical.

lancelot9898 goes to the head of the class. A picture is worth a thousand words. The sailmaker knew we sail blue water and in the big stuff. Our website is plastered with it. We told him on the phone. We sent him our latest book whose cover shows Banyandah with a smidgen of rag up, spume flying, the ocean white in a first class gale. And he made us the mainsail from hell that you'd wonder about on a lake.

blt2ski Appreciate your concern for our book sales and good name. The books are out there to entertain and help newbies organize their ships and shipboard routines. Read point one above. We actually are trying to help others here.

And that brings me to my last point - Some out there want to apply their perverse thinking to this - He's cheap, he's a scoundrel who got what he deserved. He's an extortionist trying to get a free sail. Well, we are none of those things. We are elderly folk who have sailed ocean all their lives. We have two loving sons who we raised afloat, educating them to year 10 and 11, we now have 9 grandchildren, everyone in our family lives within cooee of us. In your language that means we can shout and they'll hear.
Jude and I were in business while we got our assets up to scratch for our old age, and never had one complaint - never. We did plenty of jobs for little pay when the party did not have a lot. We figured the goodwill would help us one day, and like I said at the beginning, felt we owed big time for all the doors that have been opened for us.

This is all becoming a bit stressful for us. And seeing we're on the road again, enjoying the Good Earth, feeling her good vibes, I may not come back to visit this thread. Oh, I will start a new thread when we arrive home to let those interested know how the sail performed. So far so good, but we've only done a few hundred miles. One last word though, Buy a sail from Somerset Sails and you may regret like us.
Cheers all from down under where the wind is calling us to run free.

This cover is second edition, the first showed a smidgen of sail flying

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Authors and Filmakers
Explore - Dream - Discover
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook