SailNet Community - View Single Post - Mainsail from Hell OR am I an Old Fart?
View Single Post
Old 02-21-2013
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Re: Mainsail from Hell OR am I an Old Fart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4gta View Post
You honestly think that I'll have trouble finding a sailmaker to put together a quality set of string sails in this economy for a 25 footer? There have been 7-800 Merit 25's made. I think any reputable sailmaker can figure it out. Ulman, Q, NS, Doyle, UK, etc. Merits are similar to J24s which gives the designers (not the same as sailmakers/salesmen) a pretty good starting point. The person designing the sail is not working at your local loft.

What 'numbers?' are you talking about? Almost all numbers for boats are online. Given those, any experienced designer can make a sail that will work. From there, it's about R&D and time on the water.
Perhaps you need to do a little more research...

If all you're interested in is a set of stock-standard sails for your stock-standard little boat I'm sure even the local canvas supplier will be able to make you a set. For now I'll merely point out that neither me nor the OP fit into that category.

... and, FWIW, the person designing my sails is most definitely working at my local loft. If he wasn't, I'd go someplace else.