SailNet Community - View Single Post - Com-PAC 19 for summer cruiser puget sound
View Single Post
Old 02-21-2013
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road
Re: Com-PAC 19 for summer cruiser puget sound

Ok I guess in having trouble deciding on a boat.

I've spent a couple weeks in puget kayak camping that wa fun but I want to stay longer and sail this time. It's hard to decide on a boat. There's not that many under $5000 listed right now. There's a couple US 25. An oday 27 they keep hanging the price of and a couple of questionable $2000 boats.

I'm thinking that now is the time to get in there an get a good deal and stays board for a month or two getting the hang of it in a marina and then take off web it's a little out of winter.

The com PAC is the nicest one I've seen(except for a beautiful sannjuan 24 that was sold when I called). I wasn't thinking anything that small but it looks great so I thought I'd put it into consideration. I wish I had more choices. I'd really like a nice cal 25 but there aren't any of those.

The summer I went up ti kayak was in June an by that time all the cheap boats had been picked clean so I've got to get something soonish. A least within the next month. Any ways to find one raises craigslist?

I'm looking for in order of importance:

Sound hull
Good standing rigging
Recent haul out
Good motor
Good running rigging
Nice interior
Accessories(because if it's bare, those accessories will cost you more than the boat)

The ones with nice interior IMO are usually worse sailors because thy have a nice interior because they've been used as a liveaboard an not as a sailboat. If I see. "needs a new bottom because I've used it as a liveaboard for years". I immediately click away.

As for size. I can do small. But I need a boat tht can handle a little rough wether should spring drag on too long. Or I need a boat that, not cross oceans, but should I decide to go up Into Canada it can do that.

I know I'm asking a lot for little money but I know if I look hard and be patient I'll ind the right one. Like that beautiful San Juan. Oh! It was listed since January but when uncalled a deal was underway. It was nice. I'm jot there yet, almost but not yet, but if I was I would have snatched it right up. Maybe there will be another. I've heard they are common up there. There just aren't a lot of options on craigslisy now.

I suppose another benefit of a com PAC would be that if I leave in fall ad can't sell I can trailer it home an kit have to sell cheap.
Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook