SailNet Community - View Single Post - HMS Bounty in trouble...
View Single Post
Old 02-21-2013

ShoalFinder is on a distinguished road
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Age and inexperience plays a part, too.

There's a reason you join the military when you are 18. Well, several reasons. You are young, healthy, and your body can actually put up with the strain (the obvious reason) but the second reason is that when you are 40 and given an idiotic directive, you would shake your head and say, "No f'n way. That is a a stupid idea."

As we age we are more prepared to accept consequences rather than rush headlong into things. The difference is we learn to shape our own consequences. If you are 20 and broke when your captain tells you that he is going to sail into a hurricane on a rotten boat and you can quit now if you don't like it- you say, "Man. I need this job. I don't know how else I'll get home. And if I do, they'll know I bailed out and nobody will give me another TS crew gig."

When you are forty, you say, "Captain, I want you to reconsider. I'm happy to crew for you but we need to find a better course or else I simply cannot go. I love this ship, but I will not die for it. It's a great boat and all, but it's a boat. And it's insured."
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook