SailNet Community - View Single Post - HMS Bounty in trouble...
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Just a direct question. Had you been The second in command...what would YOU have done? Had you been crew?

Not really interested in what they did or thier influences. If you were in this situation. What would you do knowing the condition of the ship and the hurricane impending?

I have a feeking I know, but I must ask. I also bet we would do the same thing.
Direct answer then. I've seen the crew, I've seen them speak, I've heard direct reference by many on what it was like to be part of that environment.

I wouldn't have ever accepted the position as SIC on that vessel.

Beyond the scrubby look, which isn't my bag, I will use the infamous "chasing hurricanes" media interview as a perfect example. You pick whichever version you like: He was exaggerating....... then I have zero respect for the skipper of that vessel for being a blowhard and not setting proper seamanship discipline. Or, He was telling the truth........ then no freaking way I'm not packed up by the end of the day. I'm not going to be in the leadership structure.

If I had unwittingly found my way into that SIC position, I would have been looking for the first gangway I could find. An incoming hurricane would have been an excuse from the heavens and I would have suggested the same to the rest of the crew.

Had the SIC done so, one would have to believe others would have followed. Would Christine's message home have simply been something to the effect of a tough passage ahead. She was clearly nervous, but had faith in the leadership decision. Or would the SIC having left the boat changed her mind? Although, I suspect the SIC would have been blackballed from another gig had he bailed. Especially, if Bounty made it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook