SailNet Community - View Single Post - HMS Bounty in trouble...
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Mhack View Post
Well based on the testimony some said it was known that Bounty has a bad reputation.

It was known by the officers and the captain the pumps not 1 out of 5 didn't work as expected.

These 2 facts make it a suicide mission.

I would not say a suicide mission.. Nobody there thought that they were going to die, Some thought it was risky but risky means not suicidal and means always that one thinks that there are more changes to succeed than to fail.

You are looking at it from the outside. That boat had a bad reputation among the Tall ship crews. For the Crew of that boat the Captain was a hero, and the Bounty could take anything and "liked Hurricanes".

When we talk about a suicide mission it is implied that the one that is on that mission knows that he is going to die. They thought too much about their boat and their captain. They revere and trust the Captain's decisions and if he says that the Bounty is safer on the sea than in the Port, than it should be true. If the Captain decides to sail an Hurricane, then he knows what he is doing. This is not clearly a suicide mission.

Remember that the Crew is very inexperienced and only the more experienced mate questioned privately the Captain regarding his option. Along this thread several testimony made clear that the crew did not fully know the condition of the boat neither the one of the pumping systems. Remember that they did not even know that a major Hurricane was on the way (as it was made clear before). That is how inexperienced they were.

The only one that should and was aware of the boat condition, including pumping systems and lack of training with them, was the Captain. But I don't believe that even the Captain was on a suicide mission. He had a big ego and thought that he would manage to pull it one more time. I am sure he thought that it was risky but that he would succeed in bringing the boat back to port. He was gambling but thought that the bigger odds were with him.

Off course a Captain does not gamble with the lives of others, that is intrinsically wrong. A captain should not take any considerable risk gambling that he probably will make it if there is a significant possibility of not making it...and that was clearly the case.

As I have saying from the beginning the responsibility for this accident is on the Captain. An additional responsibility can be found if it was proved that the Captain was coerced or convinced by the owner to take this voyage at this particular date for financial motives. That does not diminish Captain's responsibility but will add responsibility to another party. The owner had taken the 5th and I have not seen evidence yet that it was clearly the case. That it does not mean that it had not happen, only that it was not proven yet.

I don't think that will come out of this inquiry and it would be very important to establish liability.

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 02-22-2013 at 10:15 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook