SailNet Community - View Single Post - Just beginning to shop around... would love feedback/ideas...
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2013

slax is on a distinguished road
Re: Just beginning to shop around... would love feedback/ideas...

Shadowraiths,
Nice to hear others with the geek-fliction are making the leap. Among the hurdles/opportunities of all the normal things that go along with minimizing ones life enough to migrate onboard full time. I have a pile of server hw I need to figure out what to do with. I really should look at a colo of sorts in the end, but its not really in my budget right now to house my cab in a DC, would imagine you know how expensive this can get. work will let me fire up some extra gear in the cage at there DC for now. But my HW is the hardest thing I am having an issue detaching from, I run alot of different things on it and it serves MANY functions, dev/prod/lab, in my life/career.

Wondering what your input on this is?

Also have done several "carputer" installations in my volkswagens through the years, and recommend looking at some of the sites related to that, all DC power so no loss through inversion of the signal nor need for gear that does an unnecessary function and can fail w/out notice. Also really good things coming out of the pico-ITX embedded hw these days.. Pico-ITX - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook