SailNet Community - View Single Post - HMS Bounty in trouble...
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Its funny I am incredulous that people say the crew didnt know the hurricane was coming. They were getting texts from all their friends and loved ones and everyone on the east coast starting the previous Sunday started watching the storm Oct 24 when it ewas classified as a hurricane and started its trip north. ...
Maybe I stated it badly. I was referring what they had said themselves and was published previously in the press. I did not meant to say that when they sailed that they had not been informed about the Hurricane. What I meant to say is that they had not been aware of its importance till some hours before and some not even after that reunion. Barksdale says "Nobody knew that it was going to have the intensity and size it ended up having" .

I remember that because at the time it really looked odd to me that they didn't know that an Hurricane is as intense as you can get. It only shows how unprepared they were as sailors and the trust they deposited on their Captain.

Edit:

I have checked out. Braksdale the "engineer" was the one that was not aware of the Hurricane before that reunion with the the Captain:

quote:
He had also had few conversations with the other crewmembers, which is why he hadn't even heard that a storm was approaching…

http://abcnews.go.com/International/...e#.UL3xE-RIl8F

regarding that talk reunion with the captain he says:

quote:

Walbridge had called everyone on deck to tell them about the approaching hurricane before they left Connecticut, saying he would understand if people decided to get off the ship, Barksdale said.

Everyone stayed.

'Naturally I was a little hesitant about that, but [the captain] explained the situation and it seemed like he had a pretty good strategy,' Barksdale said. 'We were going to try and get around the hurricane. Nobody knew that it was going to have the intensity and size it ended up having.'

http://www.sail-world.com/CruisingAu...=0&tickerCID=0

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 02-22-2013 at 02:24 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook