SailNet Community - View Single Post - advice on sailing around Cape Hatteras?
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2013

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road
Re: advice on sailing around Cape Hatteras?

Hi Drake,

Great question! I was thinking the same thing when I left Beaufort NC in June last year.

I take it you mean the shoals out from Cape Lookout?

I saw a passage at 34 29.1033 N 076 29.0331 W that looks fine on the chart.

The previous week I came up from the Bahamas intending on rounding Cape Hatteras but a 30 knot northerly popped up so I slipped into Beaufort to get drunk.
When I left Beaufort it was about 10 to 15 knots SE and the seas dead calm, smooth as a babies bum... but I am sure others would still be puking

I left at the same time as another guy who knew the area and as he got ahead of me I thought I would cheat and just follow him!

I expected him to zip accross some part of the shoal. But he didnt! He kept on heading down to the mark at 34 26.9674 N 076 28.3932 W

If he was playing it safe I thought I would too!

Later that evening the wind died in the butt and I motored around hatteras. The best weather to go in

If you meant off Diamond Shoals off Cape H, then as Greayhound says, keep out. The Gulf Stream picks up as soon as the water gets deeper. I was on the slope of the continental shelf. Heading to New York.

Have fun!

Mark

Last edited by MarkofSeaLife; 02-22-2013 at 01:42 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook