SailNet Community - View Single Post - BVI chart/nav app
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Re: BVI chart/nav app

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallard View Post
Robes' Oregon 450 is waterproof, but I bet it will sink like a rock if it goes overboard (I've got one.) I was comfortable parking mine in a drink holder, but TakeFive suggested a handlebar clamp that Garmin offers if you are concerned about losing it. If your charter boat has one of these open transoms, you might consider a clamp or tether as cheap insurance.
The $9 handlebar clamp keeps prevents falling overboard by keeping the handheld firmly attached.

When it's out of the holder, I keep it in this clunkly cell phone holder from Home Depot. It just happens to be a perfect fit for the clunky GPS (click the pic for a link to Home Depot's listing):
I attach a couple floats (and my waste tank opener key) to the carabiner, so if it falls overboard it won't sink.

So the only time there's true risk of it sinking is when transferring it from the pouch to the handlebar mount. And that only happens in the slip, where the water's always calm.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook