SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cheap Marinas/Long-term Caribbean?
View Single Post
Old 12-25-2006
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Got it Dawg...Merry Christmas

Mandovai...just saw your post. I was there and got "devastated" along with everyone else. Would not want to do it again. Lieklihood is extremely small but at first prediction I would head the 80 miles to Chaguramas. I would still stay in Grenada for the season rather than Chag...but I'd be ready to leave if there was any chance of a hit. One of the problems with Ivan was that it had never happened before in recorded history and so everyone kept believing the reports saying it would turn north and at most we'd get a tropical storm. This was the forecast the NIGHT before the storm. Woke up the next morning to find a Category 4 60 miles south and 60 miles east of us moving Northwest. Game over!
As to the aftermath...it was almost worse than the storm...but I don't think that situation was unique to Grenada and believe similar would happen in any of the islands. Indeed we had much the same happen in New Orleans after Katrina..the difference was only that we had the Nat'l Guard to restore order.
As far as I am concerned the DR and Venezuela are just like Grenada was before Ivan...hasn't happened YET...but they're all a better bet than the places where it happens with some regularity. Besides...you can get great fruit smoothies and pizza in Grenada!!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook