SailNet Community - View Single Post - advice on sailing around Cape Hatteras?
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2013
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Re: advice on sailing around Cape Hatteras?

Hi Drake!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drakeParagon View Post
We'll be pushing off in the first weather window after March 15th, to begin our 7000 nautical mile sail to Ireland via New York, Newport, Boston, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, Greenland and Iceland.

Oregon Inlet at the north of Pamlico sound is unnavigable for Paragon due to shoaling from Hurricane Sandy. I'm looking for advice from anyone who has sailed out of Beaufort, NC, and then north and around Cape Hatteras and through the passageway between the two shoals, or outside of all the shoaling.
I've long since lost track of the number of times I've rounded Hatteras in both directions.

Don't run into Diamond Shoals. *grin* Everything else is easy.

Unless you're headed straight to Newport (or Ireland) the Gulf Stream really isn't relevant. It tips over along the NC coast and aims for England.

Inside of R2 (between the shoal and bouy) is fine as long as the weather is settled. If the wind is up in any direction the big changes in depth can make things bumpy. Outside R12 is nearly always fine (absent hurricanes).

Are you planning to stop in Norfolk or head straight to New York? Straight through or inlet hop?

If headed for NY I usually run up the 70' line (ish). The seas flatten out and I can usually still get a cell phone signal. *grin*

If inlet hopping from Beaufort NC you can easily make Little Creek, Atlantic City, and Sandy Hook in long days. Weather permitting anchoring is practical in all those places. Don't even think about Oregon Inlet.

Weather is everything, especially if you're pushing straight through. What do you use aboard for weather information?

Do you have an SSB radio or other long range comms on the boat? I'd be happy to chat with you about weather and other conditions on your jump, although you're better off checking in to the Waterway Net (if you have a ham license) or Cruiseheimers.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook