SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2013

EricKLYC is on a distinguished road
Re: Cruising Greece: planing information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
You talk about windless days. You are talking about Dodecanese and Cyclades in July/ august? No experience there but for what I have read they are pretty rare. Much more windy then the Ionian. Maybe I am misinformed. Can you give a help here.
We also experienced more wind in the Cyclades, Paulo. In general that is, because once we had an almost windless week out there with only very few sailing hours but that was in November .

Quote:
With my draft I have some that I cannot visit but most of all I have the permanent doubt about the depth of the water near the quay and that is very important because it is where my ruder will be and it is a deep one (I guess almost 2.00m).

I had already that problem in Croatia, no in what regards anchoring, but in what regards going backwards to the quay. Many don't speak English and they are never very sure about the depth there. I am studding the possibility of mounting in the boat a forward looking depth sounder to make first a reading, bow to the quay, after turning around and set anchor, coming then backwards to the quay.

Do you know about someone that have used that kind of depth sounder?
Three monthsÖ that sounds like a wonderful dream .

The stern-to mooring with a very deep rudder is a problem all around the Mediterranean and the pilot books are not always accurate in this matter. And in Greece they donít provide moorings at the quay the way they do in Croatia. I suppose you will sometimes prefer to use a stern anchor and come bow-to.

I donít know about adequate sonar systems but intuitively I would think about a fishfinder type of sounder, although I must admit not being familiar with this type of equipment. And I suppose car parking aids donít work under water .

Thanks a lot Paulo, I'd love to have this chart.

Best regards,

Eric
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook