SailNet Community - View Single Post - Different Gun Question
View Single Post
post #1 of Old 02-22-2013 Thread Starter
davidpm

Different Gun Question

First I apologize to the moderators for starting another gun thread. But this one is different so hopefully I can get the information I'm looking for and not be sidetracked.

I am doing everything I can to prepare myself for off-shore sailing. I'm getting certifications, training, everything I can think of to be well prepared. This means I plan on being on a lot of different boats with different skippers.

It occurred to me that some skippers carry guns aboard. I've never touched a gun before so I got to thinking that for safety's sake I should at least know if one is loaded and how to remove a clip if it has one, remove a round in the chamber and check the safety.
I took a one hour one-on-one class at the local gun range. He showed me around about dozen rifles so I've got pretty good idea of how to check if one is loaded.

I have the opportunity to take the one day pistol class and go for my CT pistol licence.
It is a more formal class more about safety etc.

Can you think of any downside to getting a state pistol permit?
Is their anything else you can think of in reference to my education and guns and safety at sea that I should know.

The only thing that I ask, if you would be so kind, is that you do not make any comments about whether a gun should be on a boat. That subject has been discussed at length and I would appreciate it if this thread could be limited to the the two questions above.

I am not planning on purchasing a gun and am not asking for advice on that subject. If however I find myself on a boat where someone else has brought a gun on-board I would like your thoughts about what I should know.

The lesson from the Icarus story is not about human failing.
It is a lesson about the limitations of wax as an adhesive.
If you have an engineering problem solve it.
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome