SailNet Community - View Single Post - Different Gun Question
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2013

davidpm is on a distinguished road
Different Gun Question

First I apologize to the moderators for starting another gun thread. But this one is different so hopefully I can get the information I'm looking for and not be sidetracked.

I am doing everything I can to prepare myself for off-shore sailing. I'm getting certifications, training, everything I can think of to be well prepared. This means I plan on being on a lot of different boats with different skippers.

It occurred to me that some skippers carry guns aboard. I've never touched a gun before so I got to thinking that for safety's sake I should at least know if one is loaded and how to remove a clip if it has one, remove a round in the chamber and check the safety.
I took a one hour one-on-one class at the local gun range. He showed me around about dozen rifles so I've got pretty good idea of how to check if one is loaded.

I have the opportunity to take the one day pistol class and go for my CT pistol licence.
It is a more formal class more about safety etc.

Can you think of any downside to getting a state pistol permit?
Is their anything else you can think of in reference to my education and guns and safety at sea that I should know.

The only thing that I ask, if you would be so kind, is that you do not make any comments about whether a gun should be on a boat. That subject has been discussed at length and I would appreciate it if this thread could be limited to the the two questions above.

I am not planning on purchasing a gun and am not asking for advice on that subject. If however I find myself on a boat where someone else has brought a gun on-board I would like your thoughts about what I should know.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook