SailNet Community - View Single Post - Mainsail Design Question...
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2013
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road
Mainsail Design Question...

Many sail lofts offer "crosscut dacron" or "tri-radial" dacron and then varying levels of laminates and "string sails".

For the dacron options, what benefits does one get by going with tri-radial instead of the standard crosscut? I've seen the difference between the two vary from adding 60% to the cost at one loft, to 75% to almost doubling the cost at another loft.

I understand that it's a "stronger" construction, but what does that translate to? Does that mean a lighter weight cloth can be used and the primary advantage is less weight aloft? Does the design allow for less stretch which means your draft moves aft less and you end up heeling less in higher winds? Does it stretch out less over time and thus last longer?

What do you actually get, performance wise, or longevity wise, for your extra dollars with this feature?

MedSailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by MedSailor; 02-22-2013 at 10:43 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook