SailNet Community - View Single Post - Mainsail Design Question...
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2013

SchockT is on a distinguished road
Re: Mainsail Design Question...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedSailor View Post
It's definitely a tri-radial dacron that I'm looking at from a couple different lofts, not a laminate. I've made my decision on laminate and I'm definitely going with white (dacron) as I don't have the green for laminate.

I am inclined to agree with Faster that I might not see much performance benefit (ie go faster) from the radial construction but what about longevity? Could I expect an extra year or two, or an extra 50% life out of a radial vs crosscut sail?

MedSailor
The only advantage to a radial dacron sail would be the ability to have more control over the initial shape of the sail, and to utilize the stronger yarns of a given sailcloth. some performance dacrons are woven warp-oriented, so they can optimize the load paths without panel lengths being limited to the width of the roll. While it would probably hold it's shape longer than the cross cut sail, I doubt it would last 50% longer. The cloth of both sails is still going to loose it's resin and break down.

Of course this also assumes that both sails are being made of similar weight and grade of cloth.
Hull#101
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook