SailNet Community - View Single Post - DIY - discussion on building a DIY hookah diving compressor
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2013
Otter

DivingOtter is on a distinguished road
Re: DIY - discussion on building a DIY hookah diving compressor

I use a ROL-AIR compressor with my company on basic jobs and a Quincy diesel for deep dives. If you are not using an oilless compressor you MUST USE MONOLEC! Monolec is one of the only approved oils for compressors PERIOD! I would steer clear on making your own unless you really know dive physics and dive medicine. We buy the bare compressors but plumb the fittings and in line filters ourselves when we are not using HP Bottle Banks. That being said DO NOT use cheap pvc hose. Get yourself a legitmate breathing hose approved for diving. Also , that compressor needs to be pumping out enough CFM and PSI to get the air down to you. Its not as simple as throwing a reg in your mouth and going for it, there is ALOT of math going into diving that needs to be considered. If you really want a compressor I reccomend buying a premade off the shelf model. If you are going shallow like under a hull just get a hookah off the bottle set up, but DONT try to make your own. The only reason we do it is we are trained and experienced. Its not something you want to skimp out on or try to save money.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by DivingOtter; 02-23-2013 at 11:04 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook