SailNet Community - View Single Post - Mainsail Design Question...
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2013
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road
Re: Mainsail Design Question...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
...The reality is that your boat's performance will always be limited by the configuration of the hull and rig. You can easily argue that the performance gain of a radial sail would be minimal. On the other hand, you can easily argue that if anyone could benefit from a bit more performance, it might be your boat...
Hey!!! That's my girl you're talking about there! Though you do make a really good point, so I guess we're still friends.

Decreasing creep so that the sail retains its shape longer certainly sounds like an advantage whereby it will last longer especially in conditions where it is sailed harder and closer to the wind.

How about the other ways to destroy a sail? Is leech flutter/flogging from reefing worse on tri-radials or do they handle it better than crosscut?

I've heard that warp oriented dacron can be more U/V sensitive. Lucky for us there is NO UV up here. On the other hand our plan is to depart in 5-7 years from now to Mexico --> South Pacific--> circumnavigate Australia. There is plenty of sun on the later years of that route, but I wonder how long my sail should be expected to last into that plan anyway? And would it last longer/go further if it is a tri-radial?

Also I've heard that some of the warp-oriented cloth actually wasn't as good as advertised and they wore out much faster than crosscut. Do you think they've figured out this (warp-oriented dacron) technology now or is it still "too new"?

MedSailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook