SailNet Community - View Single Post - Just beginning to shop around... would love feedback/ideas...
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2013

shadowraiths is on a distinguished road
Re: Just beginning to shop around... would love feedback/ideas...

Yeah, I get the hardware issue. I ended up picking up a shuttle, and cannibalizing my other puter. It's set up with an i3, 16G ram, 500G internal hard drive for the OS, dvd drive, and external hard drives for data. The primary downside about this particular setup is that it only has two expansion slots and a 350W power supply. This limits what I can do with it (i.e., adding a high end gfx card which would take up the two slots and requires a larger power supply, for example). I'm presently hanging my 21" monitor from a pole that runs from the companionway to the bulkhead, similar to the way I have my laptop table setup. I would prefer a setup like this.

Some of my dock mates use a monitor mounting arm attached to the bulkhead. That allows them to fold the thing out of the way when they're not using it. As for the keyboard/mouse, I'm running a usb cable to a usb hub, as opposed to using a wireless kb/mouse.

If I were cruising, or doing a day sail, for that matter. All of this stuff would get packed away. In the event I needed to do any coding, I would rely upon my laptop, with a usb temporary storage, and backup it up every now and then to my web server, or one of the cloud services I use. Assuming, that is I had inet connectivity.

That said, there really are different considerations here. For example, I'm sitting in a slip with shore power and cable. And as such, I enjoy the "luxuries" of having a full blown network setup, and am even considering picking up another shuttle to setup as a nas. If however, I were cruising, I would do things differently due to not only power constraints and connectivity (or lack thereof) but also space considerations.

Btw, and aside, you might find some useful ideas from this guy's site. He's using pillow blocks to mount his monitor to the pole in the above pic. I wrote him and asked! lol
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook