SailNet Community - View Single Post - What to do with my old spinnaker?
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2013
"Fairhaven" Formosa 41

MedSailor is on a distinguished road
Re: What to do with my old spinnaker?

Thanks all who contributed. As usual, I have learned a lot!

I love the idea of using the perrel bead collar and flying it like an A-sail but I would want to use a sock so that we could effectively douse the beast when needed. I am also concearned that the sail is likely a big-shouldered deep runner and it just might not like being flown like an A-sail, perrel bead collar or not.

Currently I don't have a spinnaker halyard so adding that, plus a sock, plus sheets, plus extras will add up to something for a project that "may" not work. I think what I'll do is improvise a tack line and bead collar and try the sail out a couple times from the jib halyard (I'll watch for chafe) before spending the time and money on making/buying all the rigging needed to make this work.

Since the sail is "big and scary" and I won't have a sock to snuff it with, these initial trials will be on days when the boys are out sailing the boat and the girls are somewhere else. That way if we end up with a line SNAFU and a knockdown it will be just a BFS to brag about and a learning experience rather than become LINE 1 of my new alimony agreement.

MedSailor

Last edited by MedSailor; 02-23-2013 at 03:34 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook