SailNet Community - View Single Post - Just beginning to shop around... would love feedback/ideas...
View Single Post
post #85 of Old 02-23-2013
Re: Just beginning to shop around... would love feedback/ideas...

Nice, thanks for the link and input. Been fun stripping it down, feel in the end as I am pretty close to packed to move out.. big gear aside. I can make it work pretty well, with my gig being unix admin I use way less graphics, terminals mostly. an IM in the background, some other stuff going but can for the most part run in a very minimal power save mode. Even using a monochrome setting on the monitor will slice a few watts of its end use draw.

I remember somewhere in a thread someone saying the power save of ssd vs. hdd was negligible. imo it is indeed NOT negligible, after moving to a 128G ssd for my laptop I get an additional 2-3hrs of use out of a charge. Though for a larger storage medium the 1TB-SSD's are about 1K$, soon less but well u know...

Another thought on the hdd tangent, quite often the platters in a laptop drive, so anything 2.5", are made of glass with a thin layer of magnetic material bound to the platter... seriously reducing the impact tolerance of most of those models in practical use. and resulting in a fairly useless though interesting sounding box of glass chunk, perfectly well sealed from the elements.
Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome