SailNet Community - View Single Post - Mainsail Design Question...
View Single Post
post #12 of Old 02-23-2013
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA
I think that conventional Dacron sails from a good loft are quite remarkable. When we bought our boat our #2 was obviously shot and our Hood furling main looked pretty good but was far from new. We bought a #2 from North with a great boat show price. Our first year we went NYC to Bermuda and back for a shakedown and then the Cheaspeake as far south as Grenada and back. Before we left we assumed we would need a new main. When we got back to Florida we could not see any change in the main and the genoa needed only minor repairs. So we put off getting a new main until later (Oz or NZ?), With further minor repairs in Brisbane and South Africa we are ready to head to the Caribbean and North America. We wii be over 30,000 miles by then and these sails have been up in winds they were never meant for. For a cruiser I wonder if the fancy cuts are worth it.

Back home on Lake Ontario after something over 36,000 nm circumnavigator. Not surprisingly there is a lot of stuff I want to get done on Ainia both cosmetically and functionally. Getting an early start so it will be ready to go for next summer (Lake Superior?).
Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome